My dad passed away yesterday
我爸爸昨天过世了
and I am processing everything.
我正在料理后事
His illness was really terrible for a long time
他一直病得非常重,时间拖了很长时间
so even though we knew it was coming, I'm still in shock.
所以,虽然大家了解这一天总会到来,我还是感到震撼
It's hard to try and find positivity in my pain,
此刻我感到无比痛苦,非常难找到积极的想法
but my Dad taught me so much when he was healthy, and when he wasn't.
不过,爸爸健在时曾教过我不少东西,病倒后亦是这样
I wanted to share some of the lessons,
我想推荐一些爸爸教过我的东西
because he deserves to remembered for what he taught me, in sickness & in health.
由于他值得让人们记住,为他所教我的那些道理,无论是他健康还是患病的时候
Humans have SO much strength .
人类是这样强大
Really, we can handle more than we ever thought possible.
真的,大家能应对的事情远远超乎大家我们的想象
It's okay to cry your eyes out.
放声哭吧,没事
It's okay to not understand the reason for everything.
假如有的事叫你感到不可以理解,没关系
This is a biggie for me because I'm a seaker for meanings but right now, I just feel sad and that's okay.
对我来讲这是一个难点,由于我总在寻求生活的意义,我感到沮丧,但没关系
Be on my phone less.
少花些时间玩手机
This one seems weird——
你可能感觉这有的奇怪
but in his final moments I was all in,
可是在爸爸弥留之际,我所有些注意力都在他身上
no checking my phone because it really didn't matter.
我不再看手机,由于手机已经无关紧要了
All that mattered was him.
要紧的只有爸爸
This was a moment I needed to remember
这一刻值得我铭记
and I would've regretted it if I was distracted in this part of his journey.
假如在他生命的最后一程,我还不可以专心伴随他,我必然会懊悔不已
Surround yourself with a support system.
在你的周围建筑一个支持系统
Sometimes we need people to lean on.
有时大家需要有人可以依赖
Ask for help when you need it.
在你需要的时候可以寻求帮助
My mom and dad needed a lot of help.
我的爸爸妈妈过去需要不少帮助
I needed a lot of help.
我也需要不少帮助
We were surrounded by people willing to help us
大家都被想帮助大家的人包围着
and instead of shutting them out like we've done in the past,
过去大家常常紧闭心扉,将这类人排斥在外
we let them in and it was exactly what we needed.
与之相反,目前大家要对这类人打开怀抱,这正是大家所需要的
Not everyone will understand your experience and that's okay.
不是所有人都能了解你历程了什么,但没关系
This was a long and hard journey for my mom and I
对于妈妈和我来讲,向爸爸告别,是一个漫长而痛苦的旅程
and all of those who care about us and my Dad.
对那些关心大家,关心爸爸的所有人亦是这样
Just knowing people are here for us means a lot,
有人伴随着大家,了解这一点对于大家来讲意义重大
but I also know that no one will fully understand my experience
但我了解,无人能与我完全感同身受
and that's okay as we are all different.
但这没关心,大家每一个人都是不一样的
Family is not necessarily the people who brought you into this world.
所谓亲人,并可能不是那些把你带到这个世界上来的人
I am adopted and I know we chose each other.
我是被领养的,我了解,爸爸妈妈选择了我,而我也选择了他们
And he loved me more than anyone on this Earth.
大家对彼此的爱超越了对地球上任何一个人
There's nothing more important than being with the ones you love.
没什么比跟你所爱的人在一块更要紧
I was struggling deciding whether to come down to the city or not.
过去我万分犹豫,不了解自己是不是应该来这个小城定居
My mom told me it was my choice,
妈妈告诉我,选择权在我一个人身上
and then i realized there's no where else I'm supposed to be.
这个时候我才意识到,我注定呆在这里,而不是任何其他的地方
I was able to hold my Dad when he took his last breath,
正因此,我才得以在爸爸呼吸最后一口空气的时候,紧紧抓住他的手
and although it was the hardest thing I've ever done so far,
虽然这是我有生以来做过的最艰难的事
I am FOREVER grateful I was there for him at this time.
但我永远心怀感恩,此刻我能在这里伴随他
My job has its biggest fundraiser of the year tomorrow and I don't care,
明天公司将迎来本年度最大的投资商,而我却已毫不在乎
jobs come and go,
工作没了可以再找
but this will be with me forever and always.
但与爸爸在一块的回忆将永远,并且一直伴随着我
I have no regrets.
我毫无遗憾
My mom and I made sure that my Dad knew he was loved through this journey.
与爸爸告别的漫长旅途中,我和妈妈都竭力让爸爸了解,大家爱着他
We love him so much and know he loves us more than anything
大家这样爱他,而他对大家的爱也超越任何其他东西
and just knowing that gives me great peace .
想到这一点,我内心感到无比安宁
Love is the best thing we can ever do,
爱是大家所能付出的最好的礼物
and love is what truly matters.
爱是真的有价值的宝藏
Everything else is secondary .
其他任何东西都要退居其后。