Oh where to begin...
从何说起呢……
life can be a thorn in your side
生活可能化作你侧肋上的一根刺
在我这个故事中,是一根钉子
leaving you feeling defeated
叫你感到挫败
and full of self doubt and disappointment.
叫你满心自我怀疑,悲观失望
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
不是只有你才会如此!
But you need to know one thing
但你要了解一件事
-the only way to make lemonade out of those nasty molded lemons life throws your way,
生活朝你扔来苦涩的柠檬,你可以把它们变成甘甜的柠檬汁,唯一的方法
is to change your attitude about it all.
就是改变你对这所有的态度
You see,
你了解了吗
it's not necessarily about the situation you find yourself in,
非常重要的并可能不是你所身处的处境
but the way you respond to it.
而是你应付它的态度
Let me explain...
让我讲解一下
Do not expect to be treated fairly in this life.
请勿奢望生活会对你公允
My 43 years have taught me that.
我43年的生活阅历教会了我这一点
Just get over it now.
放手过去就好
If you start each day acknowledging the fact that
假如你在每一天最初的时候都能意识到一个事实
you will more than likely hit a "pothole" or two,
即,你非常或许会踩入一个,甚至两个泥坑
then you are already a step ahead.
那样,你已经朝将来迈进了一大步
But here is where it gets tricky...
但,至此,事情也变得复杂起来
When you are cruising along
假如你只不过在生活的道路上信马由缰
and catching every green light in life
每一个生活的岔路口都会遇见绿灯
with no traffic around
周围也没其他汽车妨碍交通
and everyone is following the rules
每一个人都在按规矩行事
and all is good,
所有都十分美好
out of nowhere one of those proverbial potholes makes it's presence
直到传闻中的一个路坑没来由的忽然出现,
known in the form of a flat tire.
看到被扎破的汽车轮胎你才了解出了什么事
Now, you are allowed to be upset
目前,生活允许你情绪低沉
and maybe a bit scared or worried,
可能还有的害怕或者担忧
but don't live there.
不要沉湎于此
Pack up your bags and move on.
整理好行装,继续上路
May your response be "I won't let this slow me down."
期望你对这件事的反应是,“我不会让这件事放慢我前进的速度”
Choose to see it as a life lesson...
你可以选择将它视为生活给你的一个教训
hitting the pothole made you aware that
踩进路坑会叫你了解
all 4 tires were dangerously bald
生活的道路上载你前行的四个汽车轮胎都状况极差,状况危急
and needing replacing.
需要替换
Or, think how this tiny pothole saved you from another more serious pothole down the road,
或者,想想看,可能这个小小的路坑叫你免于掉进前面的另一个路坑,或者可能愈加危险
or see it as a challenge to be a crying shoulder for a friend
或者,将此视为一种挑战,挑战你是不是能成为供朋友哭泣的臂膀
or a trusted listener to people's issues
能否成为遇见麻烦的别人的忠实听众
because you have survived these potholes .
由于你是从路坑中走出来的幸存者
It's all in the way you respond.
重要就是你应付的态度
Now, I don't know about you
目前,我可能不认识你
but I think it takes some training and self discipline
但我感觉,你可能需要长期的自我练习和自律
to be able to smile
才能微笑应付
and skip away from a "flat tire by a pothole" kind of day,
才能忘记如此“被一个路坑扎破汽车轮胎”的日子
but you can do it!
但我相信你能做到!
It's not easy everyday,
想要天天这样并不是易事
and some potholes are bigger and deeper than others...
有的路坑比你见过的更大,更深
the days you want to kick and scream
有的日子,你只想双脚乱踢,想要尖叫
and cry and shake your fist at life and accuse it.
想要痛苦,想要对生活挥舞你的拳头,想要诅咒生活
The struggle is real, I know firsthand .
我已经在你之前知道,你会真切的感觉到生活的折磨
Suffering with my disease and illnesses,
于我们的大病小病斗争
I have no choice but to respond to those rough days,
我不能不直面那些艰难的日子,除此别无选择
the days you wish you could have a do over
有的日子,你只想重新来过
with a positive outlook
携带更为积极的态度
and remind yourself that it's a part of life.
提醒自己,这只不过生活的一部分
And you know what is even better,
你了解更好的是什么吗
pushing through those seemingly impossible days,
当你熬过那些看上去没办法熬过的艰难日子
makes those "perfect" days all the more delicious...
会让那些“完美”的日子愈加美味
it reminds me of sour ball candy.
这让我想到了酸酸糖
At first it's so sour
刚开始你只感觉太酸了
and tingles your tongue
你舌头打结
and you pucker
你龇牙咧嘴
and struggle to keep it in your mouth,
克制自己不把糖吐出去
but if you push through for a few seconds,
但假如你能坚持几秒钟
you find yourself beginning to enjoy the second layer of the candy
你会发现,自己已经开始品味这颗糖深层的滋味
because it is sweet and tasty
由于它十分甜美可口
and brings pleasure to your taste buds
叫你的味蕾倍感愉悦
and you realize that it was a great piece of candy after all.
你最后意识到,说到底,这的确是一颗滋味绝赞的糖果!